Frequently Asked Questions

Have questions? We have answers.

Here are are some commonly asked questions that we have answered. If you have any other questions please feel free to call City Hall at (620) 947-3162.

How do I…

How do I find an overnight
campground facility?

Campground is open year round.

  1. Length of stay (in days) – 30 continuous days allowed in campground.
  2. There are 4 recreational vehicle designated sites with electric hook-ups.
    1. (110V-20A & 220V-50A) There is an overflow area when sites are full without hook-ups.
  3. Maximum length of R.V. park can accommodate:
    1. 1 space – 28’
    2. 1 space – 48’
    3. 2 spaces – 55’.
  4. Annual permits are not required.
  5. Senior discounts are not offered.
  6. The fee per site is $12.50/night, per hook-up with electric service, and $10.00/night for other spaces. This period shall run from 12:00 noon on the day of occupation until 12:00 noon the following day.
  1. Fees are not reduced in low traffic period.
  2. Reservations can be made in advance through City Hall (620-947-3162) with advance payment.
  3. Facilities of campground: security, handicap access, drinking water, pets allowed, & a dump station.
  4. Facilities within walking distance: swimming pool (summer only), picnic area, playground, golf course, horseshoe pit,
  5. Loewen House Museum, Friesen Mill & Visitor’s Center.

How do I pay a ticket?

If you have received a traffic citation from the Hillsboro Police Department, you may pay your ticket by by mail or by coming to the City Hall Office.

Pay by Check or Money order

Send your check or money order to the Court:

Court Clerk
City of Hillsboro
PO Box 125
Hillsboro, KS 67063
Include your ticket with payment.

Pay by Credit/Debit Card

Call the Court Clerk and we can process payment over the phone.
(620) 947-3162

How do I register to vote?

Individuals can obtain a Kansas Voter Registration application at the city office or by clicking HERE.

Applications can be returned to the city office or mailed to:
Marion County-Courthouse
200 S. Third St., Suite 104
Marion, Kansas 66861

How do I get a contractor’s license?

Every person, firm or corporation , before engaging in general, electrical, plumbing and HVAC contracting in the city of Hillsboro, shall secure an annual license from the city clerk and shall procure and maintain a liability insurance policy with the minimum amounts of $500,000 each occurrence/$1,000,000 aggregate. Applicants shall also produce a license from another city or produce the acceptable results of the Prometric testing. The application fee is $50.00. To complete & submit an online form, click here.

How do I serve on a community board?

The City of Hillsboro has several Boards and Commissions that are served by volunteers. Each year, there are opportunities to serve on these various Boards. We are currently looking for volunteers who would be interested in serving their community in this way.

The following is a list of these groups that assist in making Hillsboro a great place to live and raise our families:

  1. Board of Zoning Appeals
  2. Hillsboro Community Planning & Development Commission
  3. Convention & Visitor’s Bureau
  4. Hillsboro Airport Board
  5. Hillsboro Housing Authority
  6. Hillsboro Recreation Commission
  1. Hillsboro Tree Board
  2. Hillsboro Museum Advisory Board
  3. Hillsboro Community Medical Center Board
  4. Marion County Economic Development Council
  5. Hillsboro Public Library

Each of these Boards is a unique opportunity to serve your community. There are several positions available for the first of the year. If you have questions as to what the duties are of serving or are interested in becoming a board member, please contact the city office (947-3162) or Mayor Delores Dalke (947-2321).

Thank you in advance for considering this service to your community.

How do I contact City Hall?

City Hall Hours
8:00a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Phone: (620) 947-3162
Fax: (620) 947-3482

The mailing address for city hall is:
118 E. Grand Ave.
P.O. Box 125
Hillsboro, Kansas 67063

The City of Hillsboro closes for the following holidays:
New Years Day
Memorial Day
July 4th
Labor Day
Thanksgiving and the following day
Christmas Day

How do I get help outside office hours?

For those needing after-hour utility services (electrical outages, water leaks or sewer problems), call Hillsboro city office at (620) 947-3162 where callers will be directed for further instructions.

We have different members of the staff responsible for call-out depending on the utility issue you call about.

How do I find a storm shelter in case of bad weather?

Each spring we experience severe weather. From time to time weather gets very bad for which taking shelter is required. There are two things we want you to know:

Tornado Sirens will be set off when 2 of the following 3 criteria are met: 1) Conditions are favorable for tornadoes. 2) Radar indicates a tornado. 3) Weather Watchers have spotted a tornado. One exception to this rule would be extreme straight line winds which can cause tornado type damage.

The tornado siren will sound with a continued up and down wailing until the danger has passed. Many of our sirens have battery backup so if we lose power, the sirens should still sound. It would be a good idea to wait until the siren has stopped before going outside. Our tornado sirens are “outside warning devices.” They are not designed for “indoor” warning.

There are 5 designated storm shelters. If you do not have a basement or other safe place, you could go to the following locations:

  1. Hillsboro Dental Care 119 E. Grand
  2. Zion Lutheran Church 106 N. Lincoln
  1. Trinity Mennonite Church 211 S. Elm
  2. Parkview Church, 610 S. Main
  1. Scout House, Memorial Park

If there is an emergency, call 911 for Police, Fire and Ambulance. Non emergency calls can go to 620 947-3440 (Police) and 620-382-2144 (Sheriff).

How do I find information about the Hillsboro Senior Center?

Hillsboro Senior Center
212 N. Main
(620) 947-2304

Hours of Operation: 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Lunches are served to adults (60+) – $3.15 and (Under 60) – $5.00

Senior Center Rental Rates:
$75.00 room – The fees are for all day rental.
an additional $75.00 kitchen fee (if kitchen is needed)
Meal tickets can be purchased as gifts

There is a group of men who play pool at the center from 2 – 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

For a listing of other activities, contact the Senior Center.

How do I receive my utility bill via e-billing?

The City of Hillsboro is able to send your utility bill to you via email. Since we are in the “electronic commerce” era, it seems fitting to start sending electronic bills. In a short time, we will be offering “online credit card payments” to our accepted payment options.

The new billing process may not be for everyone. It is not mandatory. If you want a bill mailed to you we can continue that practice. In fact, if we do not hear from you, the paper copy will continue. We will continue to let you know it is available though.

To sign up for the e-billing service, email a request to Mona Hein at City Hall with the following information:

City, State Zip
Your email address ___________________________________
Account Number ____________________________________

For those concerned with security, we will use your email address ONLY for the purpose of sending OFFICIAL City of Hillsboro information to you. We will not sell or distribute this information to anyone. Click Here for our privacy policy.